normal Self-Assembly: different pressure control

• mferraro
  • mferraro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 years 7 months ago #1943 by mferraro
Hi everybody,

I 'd like to ask you something about the choice of pressure control when running self-assembly.
Having a look at standard mdp files for the raft (raft.mdp) and tutorial on self-assembly, I saw differences in the pressure control chosen for these two system.
DSPC bilayer has been assembled in ISOTROPIC conditions, whereas the raft has been simulated in SEMI-ISOTROPIC ones.
Clearly, I realize that initial configurations for the two systems are different too; in fact for DSPC bilayer you suggest a cubic box with randomly placed lipids, while for the raft a pre-equilibrated patch has been used whose lipid types has been changed to generate raft-like mixture.

In my case I assembled both a system containing only lipids and another one containing also a protein and I'm wondering if pressure control in these two models have to be different due to the presence of the peptide. My starting box has the same magnitude in x-y dimensions but a different one in Z-dimension. In the system containing protein I think that the semi-isotropic control should be used (shouldn't be?), but without protein I don't know what it's better to do. The major doubt comes from the fact that I start from a random configuration of lipids and water that are free to evolve in a bilayer (so probably I do not have to impose a direction coupling x-y axes, because it should find it by itself). On the other side, I actually drive the process choosing a rectangular box (avoiding the formation of multiple bilayers spaced by slabs of water), so probably semi-isotropic control could be good as well.

Could you kindly make this aspect clearer?
Thanks very much in advance for your precious suggestions!

Maria.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #1950 by djurre
Replied by djurre on topic Self-Assembly: different pressure control
In general, you need semi-isotropic if you have an elastic object (like a bilayer) spanning the box in the x and/or y direction. So, if you have bilayer: you need semi-isotropic coupling. If the bilayer is still forming, you want isotropoic coupling. At some point you need to stop the simulation, change pressure couplilng and restart. If you only have a (soluble) protein, you want to use isotropic coupling. If you have a membrane protein, you use semi-isotropic coupling.

• mferraro
  • mferraro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
More
10 years 7 months ago #1952 by mferraro
Replied by mferraro on topic Self-Assembly: different pressure control
Thank you so much Djurre!!!

Maria.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds